Updated July 27, 2017
Note: Information about the current firmware version can be found on the firmware update page.
SB 001 Audio Levels. Everyone should read this. Updated for version 1.1
SB 002 Historical information. Getting Ready for the November 9, 2011 EAN test. If you have any questions on how an EAN works, read this.
1) Can't access ENDEC web server
2) Uploading firmware updates without access to the update web page
3) How do I know what
4) "ActiveX control failed to load" on Show Input Levels
5) Can't hear audio from the streams page
6) Can't "Retrieve Settings" if my station call sign contains a '/' character
10) Assigning a
13) How do I specify a
14) How much voltage/current can I switch through the relays?
15) What LED Signs work with the ENDEC?
16) Setting a static IP address doesn't appear to work
17) What network/USB
18) I can't get ENDECSETD to work over a
19) Does the ENDEC support the post 2007
20) It doesn't look like the ENDEC took my
21) Can the ENDEC use
22) I can't get a
23) Email works for a while, then stops
24) How do I use iBiquity's Active Radio with the ENDEC?
25) What NTP server address should I use to sync the ENDEC's time of day to an accurate clock?
26) My ENDEC is sending a Required Weekly Test once an hour
27) What should Strict Time be set to?
28) Is my ENDEC holding on to an old copy of the November 9, 2011 EAN alert as a result of the October 24th false alert?
29) Text-to-Speech (TTS) Pronunciation Tips
Make sure you have enabled the web
server with the menu.network.web server command.
You can't use IE version 6, use version 7 or greater. You can also use recent version of most other browsers.Back to FAQ or Support
You can update your ENDEC if you have a USB flash drive. It can not be a "U3" type drive with security. It must be a non-encrypted flash drive.
1) download the firmware update from www.sagealertingsystems.com/support
2) rename to file to updateusb.x, and copy it to the top folder on your flash drive.
3) Shut down your ENDEC.
4) plug the flash drive into the top USB slot on the back of the ENDEC.
5) power up your ENDEC.
6) After several seconds, the ENDEC will update, you will see status messages on the ENDEC's LCD display.
7) Follow the instructions on the screen. You will eventually be asked to remove power from the ENDEC (pull the plug, don't use the power switch), then remove the flash driver, then plug in the ENDEC again.
The version information is in the message buffer on the front panel when the ENDEC starts.
Use the "MSG" soft key and scroll with the down arrow.
System Startup at 12/15/08 08:49:15, Digital ENDEC 1.0d
In version 1.0f or greater, the version is available by clicking the version button on the left of the main ENDEC web page. The exact version is on the "board rev" line, n/xx, where xx is the firmware revision number.Back to FAQ or Support
You need to download the VU meter ActiveX plugin from the PC Software page.
If your browser does not support active X, you will see a table with level
information. You can also see this table on the tools page, levels button.
Problem: you click one of the "mon buttons" on the ENDEC's "streams" page, and you don't hear any sound. Like many streaming audio applications, the audio is not "instant on". It will take several seconds for the audio to start. The ENDEC supports several (but not all) browser and player combinations.Back to FAQ or Support
Problem: you get a browser error when you try to Retrieve Settings from your ENDEC, if your ENDEC's call sign has a / or a space in it. This problem is fixed in version 1.0e. If you don't have that version yet, you can avoid the problem by using the front panel to change your callsign to remove the '/' or the space. Once you do that, you can use Retrieve Settings.Back to FAQ or Support
You need to set the right combination of user name, password, domain, server/port, and auth type on the EMAIL tab of ENDECSETD. You may need the help of your IT staff. Tell them yes, you've turned it off and back on again. You can see the error log file from the ENDEC's email program from your browser, click the tools button on the ENDEC's home page, then click the email button. The ENDEC will try to resend a failed email every minute. You can send a test message on the tools page, click the Test Email button.
Common problems are:
- If the email log file says "invalid address" followed by your SMTP server address, you may not have a DNS server specified, and the ENDEC can't resolve the server name. See Specify a DNS.
- Your server might require a particular domain. Enter just the domain portion of your address in the ENDECSETD "Email Domain" field.
- Your server might require a particular user in the "from" field. The ENDEC uses your callsign-ENDEC as the name. For example, if your callsign is WENN, and your domain is mydomain.com, then the from address the ENDEC will use is WENN-ENDEC@mydomain.com. You will need to add this address to your server's list of valid accounts.
- Your server might use a non-standard port. Enter it in the "Email SMPT Server" line, for example, smtp.myisp.com:2525.or example, smtp.muisp.com:2525.
The ENDEC can use FTP to send a file containing an individual alert log to an FTP server . You need to set the right combination of user name, password, and server on the FTP tab of ENDECSETD. You may need the help of your IT staff. Tell them yes, you've turned it off and back on again. You can see the error log file from the ENDEC's email program from your browser, click the tools button on the ENDEC's home page, then click the email button (this file is shared with email errors).
If you are using names (rather than numeric IP addresses) for the FTP server, you need to have a valid DNS server. See Specify a DNS.
The ENDEC will try to resend a failed FTP file every minute. You can resend sooner by sending another alert (if you are bench testing), or by in fact turning the ENDEC off and back on again.Back to FAQ or Support
This is caused by a improperly formated "Email Domain" in the ENDECSETD Email tab. This field should contain only a domain name, for example, "sage.com". It should not contain an email address like "firstname.lastname@example.org". The Email Domain is used to make the "@domain" portion of the from address in the email sent from the ENDEC, and for the ELHO command in the SMTP protocol."Back to FAQ or Support
The relay doesn't exactly track the msg key. The relay comes on when a new message is added, and goes off when the msg key is pressed. If you do not clear the buffer, then the msg soft key label stays on, but the relay will be off. This is so you can clear whatever alarm you have on the relay, but still retain the message buffer. The relay will turn on again when a new message is added.
If the msg soft key is on when you enable the MSG relay from the front panel, the relay won't turn on until a new message is added.Back to FAQ or Support
We recommend that you use the Network Time Protocol to keep your ENDEC's clocked synced to the correct time. You can use any NTP time server you like, more than one is better. We supply some defaults, but you can use a local source as well, see the NTP Servers setting on the Network tab of ENDECSETD. See also this FAQ entry: What NTP server address should I use to sync the ENDEC's time of day to an accurate clock?
If you are using a valid NTP server address but your time still isn't synced, check these:
- If the time is off by an exact number of hours, your UTC offset is not correct, or you need to change the Daylight Saving Time enable. Use the Date/Time menu on the front panel, or the Config tab in ENDECSETD.
- If you are using names (rather than numeric IP addresses) for the NTP servers, you need to have a valid DNS server. See Specify a DNS.
- Make sure your firewall allows NTP packets to reach the ENDEC. The NTP protocol uses UDP port 123.
- The ENDEC can take up to 20 minutes to sync to the server the first time you use it. If you have made configuration changes from the front panel, turn the ENDEC off and on, and wait 20 minutes - the time should then be correct.
If the email log file says "invalid address" followed by your SMTP server address, you may not have a DNS server specified, and the ENDEC can't resolve the server name. See Specify a DNSBack to FAQ or Support
If you are using names (rather than numeric IP addresses) for servers such as CAP, FTP, SMTP, NTP, etc., you need to
have a valid DNS server. If you used DHCP to get an IP address for your ENDEC, your router must provide a DNS server to use.
If you provided a static address for the ENDEC on the Network Tab or in the Network front panel menu, then you need to
provide the DNS server(s) there as well. To do so, use the Network TAB (DNS server 1/DNS server 2) or the Network menu (DNS1/DNS2) on the front panel.
If you don't know what DNS address to use, do this from a PC that is on the same network segment:
open a CMD window, type ipconfig /all. You will see one or more DNS servers.
The relays on the ENDEC are intended for use as "low signal relays", primarly to ground a contact on some other piece of equipment. They can also be used as a switch for a low power device. Before you hook up your throbatron-4000, however, here are the limitations:
|Rated load||0.50 A at 125 VAC, 1A 24 VDC|
|Max. operating voltage||125 VAC, 60 VDC|
|Max. operating current||1 A|
|Max. switching capacity||62.50 VA, 30W|
You can also read the full datasheet.Back to FAQ or Support
The ENDEC supports the serial version of the Beta Bright from Adaptive Microsystems, now called the "BetaBrite Classic". Adaptive's info page for that sign has more information. The software protocol used by that sign *may* work with other Adaptive "alpha" signs, it is worth a try if you already have one, but we've never tested any. We have tested the BetaBrite on both the original ENDEC 1822 and the Digital ENDEC 3644. If you have tested a different sign model with the ENDEC, please email us at email@example.com and let us know.Back to FAQ or Support
The default static IP address is 192.168.1.50. If you set the network address type to STATIC, and you change the IP address to something else, but your GATEWAY and NETMASK don't match up properly, then no matter what you change the IP address to, the ENDEC will continue to show 192.168.1.50 when you select "show IP Addr" from the network menu.
Your GATEWAY address must be on the same network as your ENDEC's UP address. The ENDEC will tell you if your GATEWAY and IP addresses are not on the same network when you set them from the front panel.Back to FAQ or Support
The Digital ENDEC supports many types of HP printers on the USB and Network interface.
To see if your printer should be supported by the ENDEC's printer driver, check
Note: we have not and cannot test every printer on that list. All information provided is believed to be accurate but is not guaranteed. If you verify that your printer works, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to FAQ or Support
Things to check:
- You need a null modem cable.
- You need both ends to be at the same baud rate.
- You need to have the ENDEC comm device set to ENDECSET - use the devices menu, select a device, then select ENDECSET as the device type.
The answer is yes for the Sage Digital ENDEC,
there are no
special steps required for the "new" DST rules - the ENDEC will switch at the
right time if you have set it up to enable Daylight Savings Time adjustments.
If you have the original Sage ENDEC (1822) with ROM version 6.2, the same is true. However, if you have older model 1822 firmware, then the issue is a little more complex. Read the complete DST documentation for details.
If you saved the changes, and uploaded the file with your changes via the
LAN, and you see the confirmation message that the ENDEC received the
changes, then the ENDEC is running with your new changes. If you
re-download you settings, for older versions of the ENDEC firmware, and for
some browsers, the browser will show you a cached copy of the settings file,
containing your previous settings. You can work around this problem by
exiting your prowser and restarting it before you refetch your settings.
Or, you can use firmware version 75 or greater.
If you have uploaded your settings via the serial port, you must reboot the ENDEC to have them take effect, use the Reboot ENDEC option in the Direct Menu of ENDECSETD, or power cycle the ENDEC, or use the Reboot option in the menu.test menu on the front panel.
Yes. This may be easier than using some corporate smtp systems. Build a
gmail account for your ENDEC - it won't get mail, it will just send it using
the gmail account. Here is the gmail setup we use:
Email Auth Type: all
Email User Name: email@example.com
Email password: yourpassword
Use STARTTLS is available: checked
Email SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com:587
Email Domain: gmail.com
Note: Gmail has a setting to allow devices that do not use Google's desktop security mechanism. The ENDEC supports SSL access to Gmail (enabled using the "Use STARTTLS" checkbox). In addition to configuring settings for Gmail as shown, you'll need to tell Gmail to allow access from the ENDEC.
To do so:
- In your web browser, login to Gmail as the account the ENDEC will use.
- Go to https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps
- Choose "Turn on".
Back to FAQ or Support
The ENDEC supports many of the HP network printers. If you have a printer that won't work with the normal network driver, or if you have a non-HP printer, you have another option. The ENDEC will send a log message to a printer that supports FTP. Your printer manual might tell you if it does, or you can try to use FTP from your PC to see if FTP is supported. Type "ftp your_printer_ip". If you get a user name prompt, you may be in luck. Try these steps:
- You need at least version 64 for this, and the latest ENDECSETD. If you don't have a new enough version, get one from the firmware update page. On the ENDECSETD email/ftp tab, uncheck the "Send Audio" box on the left in the FTP section, you do not want to send audio to your printer.
- Update your settings file. Remove the network printer address from the network tab.On the Email/FTP tab, add just your printer's IP address to the FTP Host/path box. Enter anonymous for both the ftp user name and password. Check the Passive box, do not check the send audio box.
- Upload the settings file to the ENDEC. When it comes up, it will try to FTP a startup message to the printer.
This is a bug in general release versions 74 or less, and in beta versions
79 or less. The problem occurs when an alert that is "ignored" arrives. If
that happens four times, you stop getting email - it isn't generated. A
reboot will temporarily fix the problem until your get four more ignored
alerts. Take a look at your logs, see if you have any "ignored" rather than
Sent, Received, or Duplicate. If you do, then this is the cause of your
The workaround is to have a filter, (there is one by default, called OTHERS), that is log only, and is a total wildcard - any originator, any event, any location. Stations that modify or remove the OTHERS filter and don't have some other catchall log only filter will get "ignored" alerts, and will have this problem.
- Edit your settings file with ENDECSETD.
- Build an Ibiquity server as follows. On the CAP tab, add a CAP server by clicking the "Add new server" button, use any Server Name you like. Select �iBiquity� as the server type. Enter the IP Address of the iBiquity exporter. Leave user name and password blank. Check enable polling, all other check boxes are ignored for this server type. Click "Save this CAP server".
- Save the settings file.
- Upload the settings to your ENDEC.
NOTE: Current versions of the firmware do not support more than on iBiquity exporter per ENDEC. Do not build more than one CAP server with a type of iBiquity. Support for multiple exporters will be added in an upcoming release.Back to FAQ or Support
Set the NTP server addresses on the network tab of ENDECSetD. We've supplied defaults, but those servers can be busy, full, or be taken down in the future. Use the address of your in-house time server if you have one.
You can also check the National Institute of Standards and Technology's list of time servers at http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi.Back to FAQ or Support
Your Override Input (D In Use) setting on the config tab is set to use one of the digital inputs on the green bars on the back of the ENDEC to trigger an RWT. This is typically D in 1. If that input is grounded, the ENDEC will send an RWT. The ENDEC has a failsafe that will only permit one RWT to be send this way per hour. If your ENDEC is sending an RWT once per hour, you have D in 1 unintentionally shorted to ground. This can be caused by a something physical, such as the wire falling off at the other end and shorting or a faulty push button, or a bad setting in your automation system.
To diagnose, remove the wire to D in 1. If the hourly alerts stop, then the fault is in the wire or in what the wire is connected to. Note that you can also invert the active state on the config tab so that ground is the no-send state and open is the send state - make sure that setting is what you intend.
For testing, the failsafe can be reset at the ENDEC's front panel, use menu.timed RWT.RWT Reset. This restarts the failsafe timer.Back to FAQ or Support
You are probably asking because of the false alert that was sent by a syndicated radio show on October 24, 2014. Strict time was a concept for the old 1822 ENDEC to avoid clock problems that users should fix in other ways. Here is our official stance on Strict Time for the 1822 and the 3644:
- The Sage ENDEC is designed to work with strict time on. You should have strict time turned on.
- Set your time correctly. Make sure you have access to an NTP server to keep your time set correctly (applies to blue 3644 ENDEC only). If you have old hardware (1822), think hard about upgrading.
- If you have an old 1822 with pre-2007 software (so that you have to play games to comply with the "new" 2007 daylight savings time rules), get the 6.2 software upgrade, or better yet, upgrade your hardware.
Is my ENDEC holding on to an old copy of the November 9, 2011 EAN alert as a result of the October 24th false alert?No. The ENDEC does not play expired alerts, nor does it hold on to alerts coded for many days in the future to play back later.
Back to FAQ or Support